5 Important Things When Creating CenterpiecesHere are 5 important things professional decorators need to think about when creating centerpieces for an event. These are especially important during the holidays when we might be tempted to go super big on our centerpieces and forget that we need to build things so that people enjoy the decor and they are not in the way!
1. Will there be audio visual screens in the room for a slideshow or video presentation? 2. Will there be a speaker at a podium or on the stage? 3. If yes to either one of the above, will everyone in the room be able to view the presentations? Or will your centerpieces block attendees views? 4. Will your centerpiece give enough space on table for all the catering items and people’s plates. 5. When people sit across from each other at the table are they able to see each other, or does your centerpiece block their view?
If your centerpieces are in the way, do not be surprised if they get placed on the ground during the event. The following is a video from Paul Cramer of The Classic Center, Athens, GA. We started a conversation about the lovely balloon centerpieces on display in the competition room at Ballooniversity 2017. Paul told me one of his pet peeves and I asked him to share, as it is one of mine also! Hope you find these tips helpful as you strive to grow your business and assist your clients in making informed choices about their decor. By the way, the centerpieces in this video were for competition. However if they had been used for the Gala, they all would have blocked views for some people of the screens and podium (there were 80 tables in the room). Tall centerpieces are fun and can be good for many occasions, however when a lot of money is spent on AV presentations it is key to be proactive and create decor that does not block views.
As you work with your clients, it is important to gather information about the full even. The last thing you want to do is for balloons to get a bad reputation for being in the way of key elements of the event. Take time to ask important questions about all aspects of the event so that the balloon decor you create is an accent to the room and not in the way!
1. In most cases it is best to build your balloon decor with 5 inch balloons that are sitting on the table and go smaller rather than larger. (I often see especially with beginners using 11 inch fully inflated balloons on the table and it takes up Way to much space and typically blocks peoples view)
2. You want to take up less than a 12 inch footprint in the middle of a table.
3. Find out if the table is rectangle or round, if rectangle then you want to take even LESS room as they are Thin tables with a plate on either side of the table.
4. If you are making a tall centerpiece best to use a upright pole that is 31 inches or taller and have OPEN space in the arrangement from 14 inch to 24 inch tall that is CLEAR for people to see the person on the other side of the table.
5. In doubt put it on the table and have someone sit across from you as you make your sample.
6. Thinking these things through takes you to the level of being an event professional, and often we need to educate our client on what will work best – and explain why you will build something a bit different than something they saw in a photo online to best meet the needs of the event.
If you would like more support and training to grow your balloon business – get connected with one of our monthly subscriptions.
Join us for our monthly webinars in our Passport to Success program for just $25 a month.
Our if you would like access to all our past webinar replays – training from Balloon Professionals around the globe, be a member of Balloon Boss Mastermind, and have access to over $2,500 of online training join our Premier Program for just $97 a month. Details at
Then click webinars and the next months topic to see details on Premier and Passport to success.
I have been in the industry full time since 2003 and enjoy helping YOU reach for your dreams in the balloon industry! No need to go the road alone when there is training available to you 24/7 online anytime!
Your Partner in Success,
Joette Giardina, CBA
Mentor. Motivator. Speaker.BalloonBossPro.com