Power of a Professional Network: How to Build Yours
When starting in the balloon industry in 2003, I had no idea that my interpersonal skills for building relationships with other people was going to be one of my keys to business growth.
I have a background in adventure based counseling, outdoor education, social work, mental health, and in high school served as a peer counselor.
Through those experiences some of the skills I gained that helped me grow my balloon business include:
Listening skills, really listening to a conversation as an active participant, not just thinking about what I’m going to say next.
Genuinely caring about others success – asking probing questions to find out about others needs and how I can help support and encourage them.
Building lasting relationships. Over the years I have created relationships by connecting with people in networking meetings and experiencing the business journey together outside of meetings.
If you are not a person who is comfortable in social settings, networking groups etc, I encourage you to:
Work on developing those skills or hire a team member to be that person for you.
Ways to build a Professional Network – inside the events industry and out:
Join a local professional organization:
- Chamber in a city you wish to service
- American Business Women’s Association, ABWA
- National Association of Women Business Owners, NAWBO
- International Live Events Association, ILEA
Over the years, Party People has grown the client base that we serve based on our relationships with businesses in need of our services, as well as relationships with vendors in the events industry. We are known for providing beautiful decor and excellent customer service. By focusing on excellence and being easy to work with, vendors then refer us to their clients based on our reputation and strong relationships.
Our top paying clients have come from referrals and relationships with event planners and other vendors in the industry.
Building relationships does not happen overnight. It takes time to AGE just like “fine wine”. Do not expect that everyone you meet will immediately start referring you.
If you are new to the industry GROW YOUR BALLOON SKILLS. You need to be able to provide professional decor – for people to want to work with you. Hands on training or online training and practice are the top two ways to grow your skills.
The style photo shoot below was part of the Balloon Coach Promotions & Profits Orlando Retreat 2018.
The decor created in class by Cody Williams, of Cody’s Red Balloons and the 75 attendees of the workshop.
The models were provided by one of my Event Planner “Friendors”.
The DJ and lighting another “Friendor”.
Both of their companies refer business to Party People Events, and we refer to them – this is the POWER of networking and building relationships.
People do business with people they KNOW, LIKE & TRUST
Invest your time to make this happen.
UNSURE what route is best for you and want some support in this process?
Do you feel alone in making your business decisions and wish you had support?
- Access to over $2,500 of online training
- All the replays from Passport to Success webinars started Sept 2015, learning from businesses around the world.
- 9 week onboarding program to help guide you in making local connections with a 10 – 20 minute video and then downloadable notes
- Membership in our Balloon Boss Mastermind secret Facebook group to share struggles and success.
- Weekly marketing and decor tips
- Support from Balloon Boss Joette to overcome obstacles
- Monthly Live Mastermind Call, 9 pm Eastern the 1st Monday of each month.
- Monthly access to the new Passport to Success Webinar 4th, Tuesday of Each mont
- Access to the monthly Action plan follow up from the webinar.
- Decor 101 tips and hints in creating and selling decor
Sound like just the type of support and education you have been looking for click here to check it out!
THERE IS NOTHING like the POWER OF REFERRALS to make your business grow!
Start building new relationships today!
Your Partner in Success,
Joette Giardina, CBA
Mentor. Motivator. Speaker.
November 11-15, 2019 Disney Springs Holiday Inn