Steps to Transition From Hobby to Balloon BusinessWelcome to the wonderful world of balloons! One of the top questions I hear from those new to the industry as Balloon Coach is “how do I become a real business?” If you want to create income or already are getting paid for your services, take time RIGHT NOW and click the link below to read these important tips from the SBA! Small Business Administration is a great resource! Many people get so excited about creating the balloon decor and thrilled that people are willing to pay them for what they are doing, that they don’t take time to look into all the steps of creating the business! Many times local chapters of the SBA hold seminars and training to help you get started and connect you with local resources. Another great resource for local business mentors to get an understanding of the expectation of a business owner in your city and state is Score.org If you know what you would like your business name to be, I encourage you to go to Godaddy.com or another resource to search and see if the name you want to use is available as a .com. If you do .biz, .org etc then someone else already has your name as a .com and people may end up on their website rather than yours. Before you BUY the name, go to register your DBA and see if the name you want is already taken by someone else. More information on how to register is in the SBA link above! Other steps to take as you become a balloon business: *Business license *Resale License to buy balloons wholesale *Collect Sales tax and remit to the state monthly or quarterly depending on your sales and state laws *Liability Insurance *Possible Commercial insurance for your vehicle *Inflation Equipment *Purchase balloons and products from Balloon Wholesalers. Check out this blog for those resources. If this process seems a bit much for you to take in and you would like help creating your business plan, marketing and a place to problem solve with other balloon professionals check out the resources to grow your business visit BalloonCoach.com, click on Mastermind to check our our group coaching program and online training giving you support from a Balloon Professional who has been in the industry full time since 2003. Contact me directly with any questions Joette@ballooncoach.com We can arrange one to one coaching if needed to go over your business strategy. Balloon Boss Mastermind gives you access to over $2,500 of online training at your finger tips 24/7 for just $97 a month. Balloon Boss Mastermind members have a private discussion group to share tips, successes and problem solve situations! Plus our live Balloon Boss Mastermind call the 1st Monday of each month and continued support. If you don’t feel you need our group coaching support but would like getting perspective from successful business around the world – Sign up now for our Webinars! BalloonCoach.com at just $47 a month, while an active subscriber you get access to all the past replays since Sept 2015 from over 40 different instructors around the world sharing their tips and hints to help you save time and money as you grow your business. To check out a FREE mini webinar on gaining schools as a client, click on this link for a 25 minute replay with some of my tips on Marketing to Schools. School Spirit, Homecoming and Prom No matter what stage you are in with your business, gaining insight from others who are in the balloon business allows you to get on the path to success quicker. I look forward to supporting you as you grow your Thriving Balloon Business! Your Partner in Success, Joette Giardina, CBA Mentor. Motivator. Speaker. Take Your Business to New Heights! BalloonCoach.com Join our Facebook Group Balloon Coach Community
Is FEAR standing in the way of your success?
As a Balloon Business Owner it’s good to take a look at the obstacles that stand in your way.What is your FEAR? As you wake up today and look at your plans for the future, in reaching for your dreams, what scares you? It is OK to have fear, we all have something in our life that tends to creep up or jump out at us and keep us from becoming all that we can be. Common fears that keep us from our full potential include, FEAR of:
- Speaking in public
- Opening ourselves up to others
- Being criticized
- Making a fool out of ourselves
- People saying no to our products (and taking that personally)
- What can I expect from the experience
- What do I need to be successful and have the right equipment
- Ask questions as needed
- First Monday of the Month Member Q & A “office hours” with Balloon Coach Joette via webinar 9 pm Eastern.
- Access to ongoing Group Coaching through member only Facebook group
- Decor 101 training – basics of supplies needed to create decor, framing and classic designs
- Full access to the Passport to Success webinar library recorded since September 2015
- Seat in the live monthly Passport to Success webinars the 4th Tuesday of each month 9 pm Eastern.
- Vision Board and Goal setting training
Face Your Fears and Take Action!What is your FEAR? As you wake up today and look at your plans for the future, in reaching for your dreams, what scares you? It is OK to have fear, we all have something in our life that tends to creep up or jump out at us and keep us from becoming all that we can be. Common Fears that keep us from our full potential include:
- Fear of failure
- Fear of speaking in public
- Fear of opening ourselves up to others
- Fear of being criticized
- Fear of heights
- Fear of snakes
- Making a fool out of ourselves
- Fear of Success
- What can I expect from the experience
- What do I need to be successful, have the right equipment
- Ask questions as needed
Build your own 48 foot long balloon arch!One of the # 1 questions I get asked is HOW do I build a sturdy balloon arch for outdoors and what is the biggest I can make it?? For years I have used a method that allows you to build a balloon arch up to 30 feet outdoors. When Gary Ledbetter told me about his design to make a 48 foot balloon arch frame that is sturdy outdoors I was excited! By popular demand of balloon professionals around the world, asking Gary how he constructs the arch and wishing he would come teach in their area or country, he has created a download and will do a LIVE Online class on Tuesday June 13th 9 pm EDT. The Download needs a few finishing touches and will be ready for you to view on June 10th. It is on pre-sale NOW, and locks you in for a spot on the live class online for the 13th. Visit /48-foot-arch-frame/ No travel expenses, enjoy the class from the comfort of your home or office!! The frame design can also be used for smaller arches also. If you are unable to make the live class, you will still have access to the recording of the live class and Q & A session in (WITH download purchase) in your Balloon Coach member area 24 hours after the live class!
Gary taught me how to make his outdoor framed arch, and it has worked out wonderfully!
He is the most helpful guy, and this is a very economical arch, event with the cost of the download instructions. This is much lighter weight than the electrical pvc that I am use to using. You will kick yourself if you skip this download!
– 40 ft. arch created by Leah Scott, Cincy Balloons, Cincinnati, OhioAs a balloon professional, 5 key things are important for your growth: #1 Investing in your business Question when you get your hair cut how would you feel if you walked into the salon or barber and they had a folding chair for you to sit in? As you sit down they say, I really love cutting hair, but I just don’t have the money for one of those pump up chairs yet. I have to wait to see if this hair cutting thing makes me money first before I buy one of those. I don’t know about you, but I would probably walk out and not have my hair done at that salon. When someone starts a career as a hairdresser or barber they go to school for it, get a license, and purchase the supplies needed to get started. If you are at a point in your business where you don’t want to be a hobby, and wish to be compensated for your work at an income producing level then investing in your business is key with training and equipment. When I was preparing for my webinar with Mark Zettler and we were talking about investing in our businesses he is the one who shared the chair analogy, and it has stuck with me since the day he said it. #2 Education If you want to be a hairdresser or barber, you go to school to learn the trade and get a license or certification. In the balloon industry, there are several programs offered that allow you hands on learning to get a solid foundation. Yes there are tons of YouTube Videos available to learn from and try things on your own. If you plan on balloons being a KEY income producer for you, investing in education online and in person is a way to learn from others who can help you with what works and what doesn’t. This allows you to get on the fast track to success! There is something special about looking a person eye to eye and working side by side with them to learn a technique. Find opportunities to go to in person for education, and make plans to attend. There is nothing more energizing than being in a room of like minded individuals working on a common goal and building relationships with other people in the industry. #3 Practice When you go to cosmetology school you have hours of practice before you get your license. In the balloon industry, order in some balloons and create the designs you wish to sell your clients. This allows you to see that your sizing is correct and that things look good! Photos of your own work help you build a portfolio, and creating the decor increases your confidence level in your skills. #4 Ongoing Training Attending classes, conventions, reading online blogs and articles about the industry and small business keeps you current and motivated to do the best for yourself and your clients. If you wish to have a dynamic growing company, never stop learning! I’m not just talking about focusing on how to make the latest trend in balloons. Take advantage of resources like Score and the Better Business Administrations in your area to learn more about the resources available to small business owners to be able to grow as a business. # 5 Hard Work! When you choose to build a business it takes a lot of HARD WORK! Very rarely are businesses an overnight success. It takes consistent hard work focusing in on your business to reach your goals! If you would like some help setting up a plan for your business, check out my coaching page for one to one coaching to help you along the journey to success! Thank you, Gary Ledbetter for giving us the opportunity to learn your technique via your download and online class. It’s exciting to see how the power of the internet is helping our industry grow by leaps and bounds! Your Partner in Success, Joette Giardina, CBA Mentor. Motivator. Speaker. Enjoy our free Monthly Ezine http://Elevated.Events
Taking Action to Grow Your Business!Carolyn Truby, CBA Of True-B-Loons in Germantown, Maryland is taking action to grow her business! She participated in the Gaithersburg Maryland Labor Day Parade yesterday. After attending the BalloonCoach.com Parade Promotions & Profits class in Chicago in June, Carolyn took what she learned from Balloons by Tommy and staff of the workshop to create a UNITY float for her Labor Day Parade. The focus of her entry, we ARE one nation under God, indivisible with liberty and justice for all. Are your taking action to grow YOUR business? (Carolyn in Chicago for the Parade workshop) TEAMWORK! A group of balloon pros and volunteers helped Carolyn bring her vision to life. Shout out to: Lori Nelson, TaNinya Buckhanan, Chanequa Watson, Sara Parent, Bola Dawodu, Dawn Dandy and Stacy Moore. Shout out to Dennis Scott and Qualatex for teaching this Bird of Peace at the Parade Workshop And Eddie Heyland for the Anagram, Magic Arch Parade Poles. Wonderful to see Carolyn’s entry inspired by Balloons by Tommy and BalloonCoach.com Parade Promotions & Profits Workshop! Plan to take Action Have you ever attended a class, workshop or convention, thought about doing something you learned in the class…but then never followed through with the idea? It happens to a lot of us, I know I have had that happen several times. A unique piece of the Parade Promotions & Profits workshop, was the team of Instructors provided hands on learning, mixed with business classes focused on how to take action when returning home! Take 10 minutes to think of the training you have attended in the past and a marketing plan, technique or market you planned to do…but have not used yet. Write down the plan to Take Action NOW!
- Identify the Action you will take.
- Set a deadline.
- What support do you need to complete it?
- Announce to someone what you plan to do (You can even email Joette@ballooncoach.com or make a public announcement on Balloon Coach Community on Facebook! (this is a closed group you can request to be a member of)
- WRITE THIS DOWN and post it where you will see it through out the day, so it’s on the top of your mind to complete!
- First and last name
- title, name of company
- phone number
- If you are friends with a balloon professional DO NOT post a question on their news feed about how to make things or sizing -that is to go in private message or email. (this is there way to communicate with their clients..not the place to ask questions about how to make things) That would be like going onto a Bakery’s Facebook page and asking for them to post their recipe for your favorite cake!
- Before you Post a question asking how to make something in a balloon group….do some leg work first! Have you searched for information – tried to figure it out on your own? Our society is so full of resources to find things…do a little digging first!
- Understand that not everyone can respond to all the questions they get. I have enjoyed teaching at conventions, however after a class often get more questions after the class that I’m not able to follow up with while running my business and focusing on my clients and family. That is why I made 3 DVD’s on the details of fabric draping – as I was unable to answer all the people who were asking me how to do each step – now they can purchase the DVD’s and get the step by step they need.
- When someone takes time to answer your How to question, they are taking time away from doing income producing activity with their clients – understand not everyone is able to stop their business to help you with your questions. That is why investing in Education so you build a support network to brainstorm with is important – so you too can help others out!
- JUST because it’s on the Internet does not mean it’s TRUE! I often see Incorrect info posted on facebook so be wise and research!
- set them, write them down
- everyone has different ones and that is OK! Some people work balloons full time other part time, do what is best for YOU!